One of those everyday things we depend on, but don’t give much thought until something goes wrong. To help keep your drains clear, here are a few helpful tips of what NOT to flush down any of your drains:
- Grease – should NEVER be poured down your sink, garbage disposal or toilet. It sticks to the interior surface of the pipes and over time can harden.
- Bathroom wipes – Advertised as flush-able – but they are NOT!!
- Food – should NOT be flushed down the sink, always scrape your plate in trash first before putting in dishwasher or handwashing.
- Kitty Litter – This contains clay which can narrow the opening of your sewer pipes, or worse plug them. Just throw away in the trash.
- Coffee Grounds and egg shells – these items collect in the pipes and cause clogs.
- Hair – always seems to make if past the drain plug, but catches on to other items and causes clogs.
- Household Hazardous Materials – Just DON’T!! These can be highly toxic and flammable and can damage our environment. Take these items to locations in Dickinson for proper disposal.
- Sewer pipe cleaning chemicals – This is only a temporary fix. Will break up grease temporarily, but proper care of your home and sewer pipes will decrease the need for these items.
- Prescription Drugs and over the counter medicines – They all contain chemicals that you do NOT want in the wastewater supply. Call South West Health Unit for advice on how to properly dispose of.
Like the old saying, “when in doubt, throw it out”….